Tony Robbins Key Principles of Identity
1. Identity is the most important power that determines our actions
We will act according to our views of who we truly are—whether these views are accurate or not.
2. Once we know who we are, we must learn to be ourselves
Trying to live in a way that’s inconsistent with our true nature will create a life of frustration, stress and disappointment. We must learn to embrace our deepest needs, desires, strengths, fears, values and beliefs in order to create harmony and tap into our tremendous potential.
3. Sometimes, people maintain the illusion that their behaviour decides who they really are
Nothing could be further from the truth. We have all experienced moments of anxiety and defeat, and as a result have said or done things that don’t reflect who we are. This does not make these behaviours a part of our identity. Rather, they are momentary lapses or unique attempts to meet our needs in the moment.
4. When you take responsibility, you restore your identity
When we create unfavourable or hostile situations, we should take action to repair any harm that we may have caused.
5. The fastest way to expand our identity is to do something that’s inconsistent with our current self-image
For example, complete a physical challenge like surfing or sky diving as a way to shake things up.
6. Our personal identities are in a constant state of evolution
We all contain the power to reinvent ourselves and create a new, empowered identity that expands what is possible in our lives. The key is to take conscious control of the beliefs we are creating about ourselves, so they can propel us toward what we desire most.